April 19-22, 2020
Chattanooga Convention Center
Hotel Reservations OPEN March 9-14, 2020
Monday, March 9th at 9am (EST) 8am (CST) log into the following link to reserve your hotels for state conference. You will need a credit card to reserve, but can send a check for payment along with your tax exempt form.
Click on this link to find out which hotels are included in the block, and their rates http://www.skillsusatn.org/slsc-hotel-information.html
Link to Contest Coordinator information sheet!
Link to State Winner Pictures!
Link to find out your Score Results (Enter your birth date and contestant #)
SkillsUSA Tennessee SLDC will be held April 19-22, 2020 at the Chattanooga Convention Center Two Carter Plaza, Chattanooga, TN 37402
The SkillsUSA Championships are competitive events showcasing the best career and technical education students. The philosophy of the Championships is to reward students for excellence, to involve industry in directly evaluating student performance and to keep training relevant to employers’ needs.
Access to the SkillsUSA Championships Technical Standards, which contain official contest rules, is available to members. View the national and state contest descriptions for overviews of all contests. Contestants should check the national contest updates page for the latest updates. Any variations to national technical standards required at our regional and state conferences due to time or limited resources will be posted to state or regional contest updates pages.
All state contests will follow the SkillsUSA Championship Technical Standards as much as possible. Contestants should check the National Contest Updates page often for the latest information. Any variations to national technical standards and/or national contest updates at the State Leadership and Skills Conference due to time or limited resources will be posted below.
- Please note you must have completed copies of the CTSO Release Form for each attendee with you at the conference in case of an emergency.
- Contestants should bring power strip and 5′ extension cord for contests where you bring your own equipment that will need power. For example display contests, and ones where a laptop, desktop, or other electrical device is supplied by the contestant.
State Contest Exams
The SkillsUSA Tennessee State Association will not be hosting or requiring any exams to be given prior to the state conference. Currently the contests that will have a written exam for 2019 are Related Technical Math, Medical Math, Medical Terminology, and Quiz Bowl. The Quiz Bowl exam will be given on Monday afternoon April 1 as part of the contest orientation session.
Additionally, SkillsUSA Tennessee will provide our gold medalists with either a copy of our old exam to study and/or voucher for the SkillConnect exam related to their contest to assist with preparing for national competition. We are confident this will provide our contestants with the opportunity to prepare for the written exam portion at nationals that may not be included at state level due to our time constraints.
The SkillsUSA competition theme for the 2020 year is: SkillsUSA: Champions at Work I'm Ready
The topic to be addressed by contestants in the Chapter Display, Prepared Speech and Promotional Bulletin Board competitions is how our theme addresses the SkillsUSA national program of work in the area of professional development.
SkillsUSA Tennessee Postsecondary State Competition Sectors
Each of the 102 competitions at the SkillsUSA State Leadership Conference in Chattanooga, Tennessee falls under one of 11 categories known as “sectors.”
The technical standards include the competition rules including an overview, lists of technical skills and knowledge required, clothing requirements, and equipment lists.
Only properly registered participants may enter SkillsUSA Championships contests. Contestants must have joined SkillsUSA by March 1.
College/postsecondary contestants are students enrolled in a coherent series of courses or a career major that prepares them for further education and/or employment related to technology, the health industry, trades or industry. College/postsecondary contestants must be earning credit toward a postsecondary degree/certificate during the school year immediately preceding the National Leadership and Skills Conference.
All SkillsUSA Tennessee postsecondary students should strive to grow their leadership skills as they prepare for transition into their future careers. Participation in the following competitive events is open to ALL SkillsUSA Tennessee postsecondary students (Including TN Transfer Pathways, General Education, Career & Technical).
- Action Skills
- American Spirit
- Chapter Business Procedure
- Chapter Display
- Community Action Project
- Community Service
- Customer Service
- Employment Application Process
- Extemporaneous Speaking
- Health Knowledge Bowl
- Health Occupations Professional Portfolio
- Job Interview
- Job Skill Demonstration A
- Job Skill Demonstration Open
- Opening and Closing Ceremonies
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Outstanding Chapter
- Prepared Speech
- Principals of Technology
- Promotional Bulletin Board
- Quiz Bowl
- Career Pathways Showcase: Arts and Communications
- Career Pathways Showcase: Business Management Technology
- Career Pathways Showcase: Health Sciences
- Career Pathways Showcase: Human Services
- Career Pathways Showcase: Industrial Engineering Technology
- Career Pathways Showcase: Natural Resources and Agriculture
Arts and Communications
Designing, producing, exhibiting, performing, writing, and publishing multimedia content including visual and performing arts and design, journalism, and entertainment services.
- 3-D Visualization and Animation
- Advertising Design
- Audio/Radio Production
- Broadcast News Production
- Digital Cinema Production
- Graphic Communications
- Graphic Imaging Sublimation
- Pin Design
- Screen Printing Technology
- T-Shirt Design
- Telecommunications Cabling
- Television (Video) Production
- Web Design
Careers in designing, planning, managing, building and maintaining the built environment.
- Architectural Drafting
- Building Maintenance
- Electrical Construction Wiring
- Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (HVACR)
- Sheet Metal
- Welding Fabrication
- Welding Sculpture
Planning, managing, and providing therapeutic services, diagnostic services, health informatics, support services, and biotechnology research and development.
- Dental Assisting
- First Aid/CPR
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Math
- Medical Terminology
- Nurse Assisting
- Practical Nursing
Hospitality and Tourism
The management, marketing and operations of restaurants and other food services, lodging, attractions, recreation events and travel related services.
- Commercial Baking
- Culinary Arts
- Restaurant Service
Preparing individuals for employment in Career Pathways Showcase that relate to families and human needs such as counseling and mental health services, family and community services, personal care, and consumer services.
- Nail Care
- Early Childhood Education
Building linkages in IT occupations for entry level, technical and professional careers related to the design, development, support and management of hardware, software, multimedia and systems integration services.
- Computer Programming
- Information Technology Services
- Technical Computer Applications
Planning, managing and performing the processing of materials into intermediate or final products and related professional and technical support activities such as production planning and control, maintenance and manufacturing/process engineering.
- Additive Manufacturing
- Automated Manufacturing Technology
- CNC Milling Technology
- CNC Technician
- CNC Turning Technology
- Humanoid Robotics (demo)
- Industrial Motor Control
- Major Appliance and Refrigeration Technology
- Mobile Robotics Technology
- Residential Systems Installation and Maintenance (Internet of Things)
- Robotics and Automation Technology
- Robotics: Urban Search and Rescue
- Technical Drafting
Planning, managing, and providing legal, public safety, protective services and homeland security, including professional and technical support services.
- Crime Scene Investigation
- Criminal Justice
- Mock Trial (State Only Event)
Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM)
Planning, managing and providing scientific research and professional and technical services (e.g., physical science, social science, engineering) including laboratory and testing services, and research and development services.
- Electronics Technology
- Engineering Technology / Design
- Mobile Electronics Installation
- Related Technical Math
Planning, management, and movement of people, materials, and goods by road, pipeline, air, rail and water and related professional support services such as transportation infrastructure planning and management, logistics services, mobile equipment and facility maintenance.
- Automotive Refinishing Technology
- Automotive Service Technology
- Aviation Maintenance Technology
- Collision Damage Appraisal (Demo)
- Collision Repair Technology
- Diesel Equipment Technology
- Marine Service Technology
- Motorcycle Service Technology
- MLR (Maintenance Light Repair) (HS Only)
- Power Equipment Technology
State Leadership Skills Conference Future Dates:
- April 18-21, 2021
- April 10-13, 2022
- April 16-19, 2023
- April 14-17, 2024
- April 13-16 2025